Like Frankentake I, Frankentake II was a minor hack (literally... my chief tool was a hacksaw) on a commercial product. Or more accurately, a planned commercial product. For some time I had been working with a manufacturer as their test mule for their upcoming Hemi intake. Unfortunately, independent dyno tests showed that their product caused the motor to lose power. The culprit was a filter that was large enough for most applications ... but not for the modern Hemi.
While the manufacturer pulled its horns in and began the long process of developing an extra-large filter, I decided to re-use their components and put on a big filter myself. The monstrous S&B filter I had plunked onto the end of Frankentake I was elected. Since it was again too large for the tube ... out came the hacksaw and the tube was trimmed down very carefully.
I say ''carefully'' to introduce the reason I saw fit to even make this attempt. This was no simple tube. Inside it was actually hiding some magic: an innovative bit of technology that promised to make power literally out of thin air and some tricks of physics.
Alas, when once again the re-filtered unit was put on the dyno it simply didn't perform. The parts went onto the shelf, Frankentake I got its filter back and kept its place under the hood. Until I assembled Frankentake III from scratch.