The Ultimate Classic Car?
Auto safety is a major concern in the United States because every year, thousands of people get killed in car accidents while millions get injured. In 2008, more than 37,000 people were killed in car crashes and more than 2.3 million people were injured in traffic crashes. In the same year, close to 12,000 people were killed as a result of drunk driving, which is found to cause about 33 percent of all accidents in the United States. It’s further found that 34 percent of fatalities attributed to drunk driving involved drivers from 21 to 24 years of age, 31 percent from 25 to 34 years of age, and 25 percent from 35 to 44 years of age. In 2008, speeding caused about 30 percent of all fatal accidents. Driver distraction caused 6,000 deaths and 500,000 injuries over the same period. The use of cell phones while driving is one of the major causes of distraction. Generally, inclement weather caused about 10 percent of car fatalities. To stay safe on the road, it’s essential to learn and practice various car safety measures.
Here’s a comprehensive guide on features, weather, defensive driving, breaking down, car accidents, vehicle recalls and defects, electronic devices, and driving under the influence.
Car Safety: Features
Car Safety: Weather
- Driving in the Rain: Excellent safety guide for driving in the rain.
- Winter Driving: Learn how to stay safe while driving in winter conditions.
- Hail Safety: Safety recommendations on hail safety for various situations, including driving.
- Driving in Winter: The California Highway Patrol offers tips on safety driving in rain, snow, sleet, high winds, and fog.
- Black Ice: Find out how to drive safely on black ice.
- High Winds: A few tips to help you drive safely when high winds blow.
- Fall Driving: Covers various safety driving concerns like fog, frost, wet leaves, and sun glare.
Car Safety: Defensive Driving
- Vision Conditions: Learn more about vision to improve driving safety.
- Safe Driving: The Michigan State Police offers driving tips to keep safe in various situations.
- Defensive Driving: Master these techniques to become a master of defensive driving.
- Being Followed: Shows what to do if you are being followed while driving.
- Carjacking: Follow these tips to avoid being carjacked.
- Road Rage: Find out about road rage and how to avoid it.
Car Safety: Breaking Down
- What to Do: A guideline on what to do when the car breaks down.
- Changing a Tire: Step-by-step guide for changing a car tire.
- On the Highway: Learn about what to do when the car breaks down on the highway.
- Stuck in Snow: General information on winter driving safety with section on what to do when the car is stuck in the snow.
- Stranded in Winter: A guideline to stay alive and warm while being stranded in snow.
- Safe Winter Driving: Vital information on winter driving safety including a section at the end on how to avoid being poisoned by motor vehicle exhaust gas when you are stuck in a car.
Car Safety: Car Accidents
- What to Do: Some instructions of what to do after a car accident.
- Car Accident Knowledge: It’s important to know how to react in car accidents.
- Accident Reporting: Complete resource to help you report a car accident.
- Collisions: The page provides safety tips after a car accident including tending to the injured.
- 911: Call this number in case of car crashes, especially when there are casualties.
- After Auto Accident: The brochure offers advice on what to do after an auto accident including not moving the injured.
Car Safety: Vehicle Recalls and Defects
- Motor Vehicle Recalls: A comprehensive resource center with search engines for vehicle recalls, tire recalls, vehicle equipment recalls, and more.
- Safety Complaints: Find out how to file a safety complaint for your vehicle.
- Car Safety: A place to search safety ratings for motor vehicles and accessories.
- Recalls & Defects: The most authoritative source on motor vehicle recalls and defects.
- Lemon Law: Many FAQs on the topic.
- Vehicle Recalls: The EPA provides information on present and past vehicle recalls.
Car Safety: Electronic Devices
- Distracted Driving: Read about facts and statistics of distracted driving.
- Mobile Phone Use: Highlights the dangers of using mobile phones while driving with recommendations to reduce the risks.
- Laws: Find out about laws governing cell phone usage and texting in various states.
- As Bad As Drunks?: The study postulates that cell phone usage while driving is as dangerous as drunk driving.
- Texting: The NPR outlines the dangers and risks of texting while driving.
- Distractions: The brochure covers various sources of distractions like cell phones, mp3 players, ipods, and so on.
- Deadly Distractions: An overview of many distractions in daily driving including radio and music.
Car Safety: Driving Under the Influence
- Drugged Driving: The National Institute on Drug Abuse provides information and statistics on drugged driving.
- DUI: A study on the prevalence of Driving Under the Influence in young persons.
- DUI Laws: Learn about the laws pertaining to DUI in the State of Kentucky.
- Drinking & Driving: The page provides information and solutions on drunk driving.
- Drunk Driving: The nonprofit is dedicated to the education and prevention of drunk driving.
- Just One Night: A PBS program to educate people on the dangers of drinking and driving.
- Fact Sheet: Queensland Police presents comprehensive information on drug driving.
- Drugs & Driving: Come here to find out about the effects of drugs on driving.
Matt is the Managing Partner at Leland-West Insurance Brokers, Inc. He started with the firm while still a college student, way back in 1984. According to Matt his only remaining hobby is Motorsport ... because its all he can afford ("will work for tires"). Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org