Classic cars are available in a variety of sizes and shapes. They range from sporty models such as the Cadillac to the more comfortable and spacious Humber. If you are new to selling classic cars, you would be surprised to learn that they can offer incredible value if you find the right buyer.
If you have a classic vehicle, but don’t have much knowledge about them, you may have a hard time selling it. When selling a classic car, it is important to spend a generous amount of time to learn about their value, so that you can sell it for the right price. While the internet is full of advice and tips about selling classic cars, people often tend to get confused because of some technical details.
If you are one of those people, and are searching for easy to understand tips about selling classic cars, continue reading this piece, as it discusses some of the best tips you may come across. So without further ado, let’s begin!
Estimate Your Classic Car’s Value
There is no shortage of online and offline services that you can utilize to determine your car’s right value. Sure, you may not get exact estimates as they could vary from one service to the next, but they will give you a rough idea. For instance, some buyers could be prepared to offer a price that is way higher than your vehicle’s priced simply because your classic car is rare or maybe because it reminds him/her of their first car.
The following tips could help you sell your car for excellent prices:
- Set your vehicle’s price a bit over its estimated worth. By doing this, you can get some leverage when bargaining with potential customers, making sure you don’t have to sell your vehicle for a loss.
- Local collectors generally tend to have online forums where you can see same or similar car models selling in places nearby
- Consider taking your classic car to professional assessors. Most of these assessors may charge a fee to analyze your car but the price is usually worth it because they know what it takes to gauge your car’s value the right way.
Find Suitable Selling Venues
You can significantly increase the odds of selling your classic car at high prices by choosing the right location. In some situations, opting for an auto auction could be an excellent choice, while in others, you would greatly benefit from online posting. The right venue can make all the difference when selling classic or any type of car for that matter.
In case you don’t have the time and energy for choosing a suitable selling location, you can always acquire the services of a dealer to choose the best selling venue.
- You can either use a car dealer’s help or consign your car to sell it for a good price. Sure, they may take their cut, but it will significantly eliminate a lot of hassle, saving some time in the process.
- If you choose an auto auction for selling your car, know that you will need to pay a fair percentage to the auctioneer or the organizers once your car is sold. So, it would be best if you chose the auction wisely as a lot of them tend to keep massive cuts.
- One of the most cost effective way to sell your vehicle is by making an online post about your car with its general information and description. Once again, you may need to pay some fees for your post, but it will help you advertise your car to thousands of people.
Make Your Car Stand Out
Selling classic cars requires more effort than modern ones, and for good reason. Sure, some people may buy a classic car for sentimental value but others may not be convinced of it right away. Therefore, you must make an effort to highlight some special features of your car like its color combination, make, engine etc to make it stand out. It would also help if you requested your car manufacturer to provide you with production numbers, which can greatly help you in research.
- Believe it or not, history can play a massive role in increasing your car’s value. For instance, if your vehicle was used in a famous movie or owned by a celebrity, there is a good chance that you can sell it for an excellent price.
- Consider doing some research to learn about the times where your car was in the spotlight. Doing this will help you increase your classic car’s value in the buyer’s eyes.
Study the International Market
A lot of collectors living in your region may find your classic car to be desirable. However, there’s a high chance that it isn’t as exotic as you expect, especially if its production and distribution happened in your area. By studying the foreign markets, especially where your classic car could be rare, you can find people who would value your car more than the locals.
That said, make sure that your classic car’s international worth is enough to justify transporting expenses while making you a profit.
-Consider taking a quick look at the emission and fuel standards of the countries you want to advertise your vehicle in. Sometimes, even the most avid of collectors could pass on a classic car if the laws of their country don’t allow the type of vehicle you are selling
- In case your classic vehicle has a worth estimated around 20,000 Dollars, a lot of buyers may not even consider it to be a worthwhile option. This is because they would have to pay hefty international shipping fees that may not be in their budget.
Shine Up Your Car
No matter how old your car is, it always helps to make it look new and shiny. Appearances really matter, especially when it comes to selling cars. Most buyers may try to negotiate the price in order to bring it down. They will find any reason they can to justify their argument, which is why it is important not to give them any reason to bargain the price. You can do this by making your classic car look as good as new.
Also, keep in mind that merely maintaining your car’s exterior is not enough, you should also focus on the interior and repair any faulty parts to make sure the vehicle is in excellent running condition. As far as the exterior goes, wax coats can go a long way in making your classic vehicle look like it was manufactured just recently.
Don’t be Hasty When Advertising
Contrary to popular belief, merely having an attractive or valuable car is not enough to sell it for a good price. Advertising it the right way matters, and many people tend to be hasty when marketing their car. The most critical part of any car selling process is a comprehensive, well laid out marketing strategy.
This could include things like highlighting your car’s positive attributes and justifying the rates you are asking. You should also consider advertising your vehicle on different forms of media to get as much exposure as possible.